Documentation to Bring to Tax Clinic Appointment
- All T4 (statement of Remuneration Paid) slips: you will need to get these slips from your 2012 Employer(s).
- All T2202A forms: these are the tuition receipts that you download off ROSI.
*If you did not file T2202A for Tuition and Education for prior years, an adjustment must be filed to that tax year. Bring in previous year documentation.
- All T4A slips: these are the forms you receive for any scholarships, bursaries or research grants.
- Summary of gratuities earned.
- All T5 (Statement of Investment Income) slips relating to interest earned.
- All T4RSP (Statement of RRSP Income) slips: these slips are sent if you have cashed out any portion of your RRSP.
- Notice of Assessment/Reassessment: this is the form to bring if you have carried forward tuition credits from past years. You will have received this in the mail last year if you filed taxes. If you did not receive it but did file taxes, you can call the CRA directly and have them give you the information on the phone. You can also request that it be sent out to you. This information is important and should be obtained where possible.
- Rent receipts: bring in all 2012 rent receipts from residences or off-campus housing. Proof of rent can include a letter from the landlord, a receipt, or your canceled cheques. A lease is not a valid proof of payment.
- Charitable Donations: bring in any receipts for charitable donations or donations to political parties made from January 1, 2001 until December 31, 2012, that you wish to claim on your 2012 taxes.
- Transit Receipts: A receipt for a monthly pass (Metropass, Go Train, VIA RAIL), or a TTC weekly pass. Please note shorter duration passes (weekly) if a) each pass entitles you to unlimited travel for an uninterrupted period of at least five days AND b) enough of these passes are purchased so that you are entitled to unlimited travel for at least twenty days in a twenty-eight day period.
- Residency: if you have not been a resident of Canada since January 1, 2012, please bring documentation showing when you first landed in Canada. Your tax return must specify the number of days you have been in Canada.
- Principal Residence: if your principal residence (e.g. parent's residence, permanent home) is not in Ontario, tell the volunteer where your principal residence is. The volunteer must use the provincial tax forms from your home province.
Ontario Tax Form: ON 428
Ontario Credits: ON 479
Prov. Tuition and Ed. Amts
Visit the CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html for additional information.
- Bring your SIN card as this is the official name that the Canada Revenue Agency has on file for you.